Monday, December 1, 2008

Being Like Water

I came to the realization that I was letting the stressful situations of my life rule over my peace of mind. Remembering what I had read in a book about the Tao Te Ching, I decided to think of myself as having the qualities of water. That is, knowing who I am, and letting whatever situation that comes up in my life be the way it is.

Water always flows to the place of least resistance. However yielding, it always has the power over it's surroundings - not through force, but through patient flowing.

I have always thought of myself as a laid-back kind of person, and believe that that is the way others see me as well. But, I have not always been comfortable with my way of being, at least in my mind, especially when I am presented with a situation that goes against a core belief. I always have the tendency to agree with whomever I am talking to, but then feel the stress that follows, because if that person was talking about something that didn't follow my heart, there would be conflict within my soul, causing the stress. I would often question those core beliefs.

When I think of being like water, it creates a great comfort within me, because I know I don't have to have stressful thoughts to disagree with someone, and I know I don't need to to react to something they said, either. It also helps me appreciate their point of view, leaving me free to have a friendly conversation about it - or not. It is also a very simple concept and easy habit to get into.

No comments: